Thursday, March 12, 2009

Say "No" Assertively


Four Step Script


1. Acknowledge the request.
2. Say "no."
3. Explain why, without making excuses.
4. Discuss options; negotiate.


Example One
Randy, I understand you'd like me to finish the presentation today. I'm not able to do that because I have the month end report, ABC's contract, and the training roster to complete. That will take me through the end of today. I know Cindy isn't busy today; can she do it for you?


Example Two
Cass, I know you promised to bring cookies to class tomorrow. I can't bake them tonight because I have to finish my presentation for tomorrow's meeting. You have two options. One, you can bake them yourself, as long as the kitchen is as clean when you're done as it is now. Two, we can go to the bakery in the morning before school and pick some up. What do you want to do? If you had told me sooner, I could have baked them for you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment